Hello all,
Just ten days ago I was strapped to a gurney and being transported via ambulance from my home hospital IU North in Indy to my transplant center UPMC in PIttsburgh. My mom rode with me while Randy, our Boston Terriers Rocky & Rosie and all variety of our things rode ahead in our wagon. Our original plan (before the pneumonia) was to travel to Pitt on a housing search so we could find a short term apartment that was pet friendly, clean, and safe. Then we would return home, pack up our stuff and make the move in an orderly fashion.
Unfortunately having CF does not always make keeping plans possible. The weekend before we were supposed to leave I started spiking fevers including a whopper of 103 degrees. So the new plan was to admit me to IU North, get me stable, and then transfer me to UPMC in Pittsburgh. While all of this was going on, Randy & I decided on an apartment sight unseen relying only on photos and information from the internet. We also checked with the UPMC social worker and she said the apartments were nice.
So while at IU North Randy kept busy during the days packing all sorts of household goods, clothes etc. My mom stayed with me some at the hospital during the day and I had many friends visit. Then we transferred to UPMC. While Randy checked into the apartment, unpacked and set up our new home, my mom was by my side days and some nights making sure I was OK. Randy would come in the evenings and some during the day as well. Although this was far from easy or ideal we adapted as all those dealing with CF must.
The first few days at UPMC were a little rough. I backslid a little and was very short of breath and needed lots of oxygen. The simple act of walking to the bathroom was tiring. Thankfully they increased my steroids to open my lungs up and I felt much better.
The best part about being in the hospital at UPMC was getting to develop a relationship with my new transplant/CF doc Dr. Pilewski. He is a very bright and caring person. I'm lucky to have him in my corner. After a few more days we both decided to discharge me last Friday. I say both because that's how he operates. He knows that I know my own body better than anyone and trusts me to help him make the right decision about discharge. This is EXACTLY the type of doctor/patient relationship that I have with Dr. Goodman back home and I felt immediately comfortable with Dr. Pilewski because of it.
After discharge I finally got to see my new "home" for the next few months. The apartment is really spacious and bright with lots of windows. Our view is not the best as we look out on the street. But since we are not permanent residents I guess we get the short end of the stick on locations. The good news is Rocky and Rosie love all the activity and passers by. Also, the complex is right on one of the three rivers in Pitt and has a great walking path for the dogs. Having them with us really makes it feel like home. Now if I can just get some new lungs our new home will be complete :)
Peace,
Steph
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Love you Steph. I'm so glad things are working out as best they can and that you have Randy, your Mom and the dogs by your side. Having gone the nursing home route for a short time in the past, I'm so glad you have something much, much better. But I know it's not home and I hope you'll be able to return to a newly-better normal life very soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and tracking your progress through Liggety split as much as possible. Hugs, Jeanne
ReplyDeleteLove to u Steph and Randy Positive vibes your way. Cant wait to cheers and dance to your new lungs!
ReplyDeleteI love that picture of you and Rosie! So sweet!!! :-)
ReplyDelete